Monday, January 25, 2010

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

Title
My Sister's Keeper
Author
Jodi Picoult
Publisher
Pocket Books
Price
RM35.90
Rating
4/5


Bittersweet chocolate. That is what this book tastes like. It is a story about how a younger sister is brought to the world for the sake fo saving her ill elder sister. I don't see that as a valid reason to conceive a child. How can you just decide to just have another baby for her organs? I wonder if it really happens in the real world we are living in.

Anyhow, Anna is expected to provide whatever her elder sister needs. Which means she has been hospitalized everytime her sister is because she needs to either provide blood and everything else her sister needs to stay alive. Her parents could opt for other options to get help for their eldest daughter but help could take a long time; too long to allow Kate to have another breath. There was only once they all shaved their heads just so that Kate won't feel alienated. I guess a mother would do anything for her daughter. Story begins when Anna sues her parents to object their request to donate an organ to Kate.

As much as I love the story, the ending is not to my liking. How can it not have a happy ending???Why can't they let the sisters be happy and live? Or why can't the ending be like how many of us predicted; Anna lives while Kate goes..? Maybe that is the beauty of the story. To have an ending we do not hope for.

On the other hand, this book has quite a spotlight that it was made into a movie starring Cameron Diaz, Abigail Breslin, Alec Baldwin and Sofia Vassilieva. Yet to watch it. To those who have watched, feel free to fill in. :)

p/s: This is my first Jodi Picoult's. I have to admit that she has a talent to tell such a serious story in a very light way. The story is very sad and at times complicated but she has made it light enough for her audience to be with her throughout the entire story. May try her other books but I don't think I will read ALL her books because to me, it all seems similar; sickness, sacrifices, death, hardships, recovery and etc.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails